March 8, 2013

Calgary's Sky Spa ~ Santé Spa Hotel Le Germain

Santé Spa Hotel Le Germain
Arriving at the Hotel Le Germain, across from the Calgary Tower, our vehicle is whisked away by valet and we are speedily checked into a generously sized king room; it’s quiet, with modern furnishings and intense colors. The built-in wood cabinetry is oversized and luxurious. The green aspect of the hotel that stood out the most was the power-saving system of placing the room key card into a special receptacle in order for the lighting to remain on. It not only eliminates lighting empty rooms, but also provides the bonus of knowing where to look for the card when leaving the room. I particularly liked the oversized bathroom with an enormous rain showerhead, robes, high end products and thick, thirsty towels. The superbly comfortable bed, with a cozy knotted throw, made certain we had a great sleep. Deluxe continental breakfast the next morning was varied and attractively presented with a large number of specialty teas and coffees offered.

This Santé Spa location is a streamlined urban sanctuary located on the top story of the hotel, along with a fitness area, infrared saunas and showers. It was my first self-serve reception experience in a spa. Guests call or book treatments online, at which time they will be queried regarding any medical conditions as well as their preference for a male or female therapist and instructed what to do upon arrival.

When I got to the lounge, I helped myself to a small snack while I completed the questionnaire provided. The area was well lit without being too bright, with carefully chosen comfortable seating in neutral colors to complement the lines and concept of the building. No retail products in sight. At 3:30 p.m. sharp, my aesthetician, Carissa, led me to a cozy treatment room, where I donned a wrap and snuggled into a warm cocoon for the signature Revitalize facial. After a long road trip, the neck, shoulder and arm massage and the attention to my feet in addition to a thorough and caring facial treatment was heavenly, especially after the unaccustomed exposure to Calgary’s cold, dry mountain air. Carissa’s careful examination of my skin, exploratory questions and deft touch ensured my complete comfort and satisfaction from the first whiff of soothing aromatherapy through to the end, which always comes too soon.

Despite the edgy, modern feel of the hotel and spa, the cutting edge treatment I received was delivered using traditional and nurturing methods, a Santé trademark. Back in the lounge, a nibble of rich chocolate and a drink of refreshing citrus water completed the experience. My taut cheeks and softly glowing skin reflected exactly how I felt: relaxed, refreshed and revitalized ... just like the name says. For complete satisfaction, I recommend making advance reservations for treatment in this smaller, more intimate spa. Shoppers and downtown professionals, keep this escape in mind for a recharging respite or to prepare for those festive events.

Sante Spa Calgary

~ Dagmar White, Spas of America

No comments:

Sponsor